Doneraile Park

It is thought that the core of the building known as Doneraile Court was possibly constructed as early as the late 17th century after an earlier castle and manor house had been burned down. A major reconstruction was undertaken in 1725, commemorated by a plaque over the doorway. This was overseen by the architect Isaac Rothery and was commissioned by Hayes St Leger, the Fourth Viscount Doneraile. One of the main developments in 1725 was the addition of the bow-ended facade that gives Doneraile Court such a distinctive look. Other additions were made in 1805 and 1820 when the porch was added. The house faces north as the family wanted to see sunlight over the planned vista in front of them every morning.

The extensive grounds were planned to make it look as close to nature as possible with a vista that sweeps all the way up the skyline. There are clever design features that are hidden from view which help to create this managed pastoral scene. One such feature is what is known as a ‘ha-ha’ ditch, which ensured that deer were enclosed in a certain area without the need for large, unsightly fences. Deer were introduced to Doneraile in the 17th and 18th century and were hunted for sport. The deer died out on the estate in the early 1900s but species like fallow, red and sika deer were reintroduced in the 1980s.

Aerial view of Doneraile Park Cork

Aerial view of Doneraile Park • Cork

Doneraile Park home to the first female freemason

The gardens of Doneraile Park Cork

The gardens of Doneraile Park • Cork

The gardens of Doneraile Park Cork

The gardens of Doneraile Park • Cork

Upper left: aerial view of Doneraile Court • Lower left: Doneraile Court • Right: the River Awbeg

Top: aerial view of Doneraile Court • Middle: the River Awbeg • Bottom: Doneraile Court

Explore Ireland with the Experts

Enjoy a more meaningful relationship with Ireland. Don’t miss out, become a member today. Monthly and annual subscriptions available.